Friday, April 29, 2011

You be the JURY....

On the 15th of May I will be 31. I have never served on jury duty. I have always felt left out! I was jealous of Jason when he was asked to serve. He was never picked to be on a jury, but he got to go to the courthouse and see how it worked. I think that although inconvenient, we, as citizens, should be willing to serve. I try to think.... "What if my child was injured and someone (not me) was put on trial for their crime???" I would want a jury of people who are willing to be there.

Well my wishes came true. A few months ago I got the questionnaire in the mail to select jurors. I was thrilled. Jason thought I was insane. I mailed it back the next day and have been waiting for my number so I could call in and see if I had to go!

On Monday I received a call and did not recognize the number. So I let it go to voice mail. It was a message from the Jury Commission office stating that I was requested to serve on Wednesday April 27th. It also stated that if that did not work that I could call that same number back and request a postponement. I did. I chose option 5, got the email, and requested a postponement. I had no childcare, and asked to serve this summer. I never heard anything back.

Fast forward to Wednesday. Normal day. Getting ready to put Burke down for his nap, and then playing Guess Who with Graden. I get a call from a number that I don't recognize, but I know is ok to answer. It is a jury commissioner lady SCREAMING at me that the judge is WAITING for me and I need to DROP what I am doing and DRIVE to the courthouse IMMEDIATELY. Needless to say I was beyond flabbergasted and not quite sure what to say or do. She just kept going on and on about the fact that I talked to somebody and said I would be there. I NEVER TALKED TO ANYBODY.

I was able to stay calm. Burke on the other hand tested his lung power SCREAMING while I was on the phone. Everything I was trying to tell her she was not buying. She thought I was lying. About all of it. Emailing, not talking to a person on Monday......I could have died.

She let me finish what I was saying then she replied: "You'll be receiving a letter". Then hung up on me. I was totally numb. Shocked really. And scared.

So today when I was coming around the corner from dropping the girls off at school I could see somebody parked in front of my house and walking up to my door. I pulled in and kept the boys in the car. It was a lady giving me a summons punishable by law. She was very nice and I explained the story to her and she felt very badly. But I was still screwed.

I have to report to the courthouse on Monday the 9th of May at 7:30am. No calling in, nothing. I am freaking out. What do I do with my kids??????? Hello? How do I get them to school. How do I get Graden to and from preschool?

This is how I am feeling!!!!


Then the Lord blesses me.......


I have had some really great people drop by that have blessed me so much. And they had no idea any of this was going on. My friend and neighbor Cindy came over just minutes after the crazy phone call. She brought me cookies and this tile. And I bawled. I told her the story.



Then my friend Tamra stopped by last night with the ADORABLE bag full of Diet Pepsi and chocolate! It had the nicest note inside. She had no idea any of this was going on either.

Will I survive this? Yes.
It's all about your attitude.

8 SAY WHAT??????????????????:

Joleen said...

I HAVE JURY DUTY THAT WEEK TOO!!!!!!!
But my # is in the 300's....

Natalie said...

That is crazy! I'm so sorry! Hope all goes well!

Juliette said...

Oh man that is crazy! But you sure have great friends that live close to the spirit in your life! You are blessed and yes you will make it through. Good luck! Hope all goes well!

Synergy Girl said...

I didn't know...you're right...but I did know I wanted to do something for ya...!!! BTW...I would love to take your boys...my boys + your boys = SUPER FUN...

Tonya said...

holy freaking crap! Just when you think the system is on your side! ..... jeeze!!!

CB said...

Wow that is pretty weird. I don't understand how that lady could be screaming at you - Holy Unprofessional.
I have never heard of anything like that.
I know everything will work out - sorry it was so stressful.

Mark and Lachelle said...

Are you freaking kidding me?! This is supposed to be our legal system that is supposed to help and protect us?! What a joke!! Sorry you have to go through this. I know everything will be just fine, but how annoying!

Kendra said...

Oh goodness...I have never served jury duty before, although I was called when I was on my mission. If you need help with your munchkins, just give me a buzz!

Music to my Soul~


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Graden's wrestling practice